Tuesday, May 11, 2010

24 hours. or 3 weeks.

I've been here for almost 24 hours. It feels like I've been here for approximately 3 weeks. I can't really describe that feeling.
This blog is going to be full of really uninteresting details. sowwwwwy.
The flights (totaling 27 hours) were surprisingly not horrible. The first flight, which was only like an hour, I sat next to an older guy, who farted at least three times (that I could smell). That was not very pleasant. The second flight, which was 14 hours, I sat next to two Japanese kids, who could have been anywhere from 16 from 28 years old. They all look the same age. They were nice, didn't speak much English. I asked the boy next to me help me find my sandal. That was an ordeal. I slept through at least two meals. The kind Japanese boy woke me up for one. I finally made it to Tokyo, and had a little less than an hour to make my connection flight to Bangkok. I was standing in an impossibly long line for security (after I had to hunt for someone to tell me where my gate was), and went to grab something in my purse and noticed there was a lot of water. My camera and phone=destroyed. So that was just really just great. So after fishing out all of my important things and wringing them out, and getting through security, i sat against a wall and wished to be back in the U.S. Five minutes later I got up and things got much better. The flight to Bangkok was fairly uneventful. I was seated next to a VERY large man, who panted and was very sweaty. He took up about two-thirds of my seat. But, it was a pretty empty flight, so I got to move and got my own row. I spent the entirety of the seven hour flight unconscious. A flight attendant woke me up briefly asking me in a very Thai accent if I wanted shrimp, but I don't know that I even answered. That's irrelevant. Anyway, I landed in Bangkok and we had to get out of the plane and take buses into the airport. This was when I first experienced the heat. I wish I could explain the heat in words. It's thick, and heavy, and HOT. I got through customs quickly, even though I couldn't hear, and checked the board for the baggage claim. However, the board would be in english for about five seconds and then switch to Thai. So, I walked to the baggage claim and watched luggage for a good 30 minutes, and came to the realization that in one of the four airports I went through my luggage, which contained all of my belongings, had been lost. After watching the same four suitcases I walked up to someone who, not so politely, told me that I "flew Delta, and that my baggage was about seven miles away." When I finally got there they had it in a special area where I had to beg for my suitcases. Then I had to walk another 11.7 miles, in an airport that had very little English, and finally saw my boss, Ploy. She told me Nick had gone looking for me, and then i finally saw him! We headed back to our apartment, which is in the North West part of Bangkok.
Our neighborhood is made up of a million little streets, all of which are filled with dogs. Last night we saw puppies! Nick and I got to our apartment and hung out for awhile, but because I slept through most of my meals in the previous 24 hours, I was starving. It was about 2 am so we walked down the street a few blocks to a street food place that was open. We had a deeeelicious meal of rice, veggies, meat, and chilies, and a couple Thai beers. The whole shebang cost a total of 7 dollars.
Today we ventured to China Town, in search of electronic devices. It was hotter than I can describe. I don't think I've ever sweat like that in my life. We walked through about seven blocks of fabric street vendors. There was fabric everywhere! We finally found what we were looking for and I purchased what I needed. I got a cellphone for local use, so I feel pretty fancy now.
After our China Town adventure, I was pretty wiped, even though jet lag has not really been an issue. We went to the mall/market area tonight to get dinner and walk around for awhile. We took motor bike taxis to the mall, which was one of the single most terrifying moments of my life. I was holding on with literally white knuckles as the driver zipped along narrow waterways, and took corners just a little too fast. Needless to say, I can't wait to take one again. I love how inexpensive things are. It makes me giggle every time Nick tells me how much things cost.
Well, that was long and boring. but that's what has happened so far. I can't wait for what's to come.


ps. my Thai sucks.

6 comments:

  1. heeelarious. love the part where there was water in your bag. ohh, only you. okay, so next time you post, you need to include pictures. oh wait, first buy a camera.

    LOVE you! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS!!! I'm so happy you decided to do this! You better keep this up all year long! This is great and I love you. Let's skype soon and you have to speak thai the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brit you make me laugh out loud! I can't wait to read about your adventures and hear you speak thai over skype. You are so lucky to experience this; although, the heat sounds miserable. I love you and miss you!

    Love,

    Alyssa

    p.s. I don't know why it says my name is Hope... hahaha wtf?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. britt!!! i hate that i can't text you several times a day. but i love that you are writing about your adventures! i read this one allowed to my mama. and probably will again when zach gets here. you had some funny airplane buddies. i yike it. sad about your camera =( happy about the puppies! and the bike taxi thing sounds crazy. and i can totally picture it because mary kate and ashley did this in one of their stellar movies. i love you! mmmmbye

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your thai is always going to suck. You needed a new phone anyway. You're totally ready for more craziness. I'm happy for you and wish you tons of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your aunt just gave me the URL for your blog today and I simply had to tell you how much I appreciate a good fart anecdote. Thank you.

    ~Brad Of The Corn.

    ReplyDelete