Friday, May 14, 2010

Lao Kao


I'm kind of sucking at taking pictures, but I'll try. It's just weird to take pictures of the stuff I do everyday, and the things I see all the time. Anyway, the picture above is around my neighborhood. Just kind of an areal shot of Bangkok. This was taken from the roof (ish) of the school I'm working at. The picture below is of our soi (street). Our neighborhood is a really quiet, completely Thai, and awesome place. The picture was taken from the balcony off Nick's room. His balcony is waaaaay better than mine. Mine looks out to a really awesome wall. So that's cool.



I can't say enough how much I love the food. There are amazing restaurants on the street, and everything is made right in front of you. The produce here is about a hundred times better than in the US. I'm straight up obsessed with the onions. Everything is fresh, and spicy, and wonderful. However, the other night I had curry that was so spicy it literally made me dizzy. It was painful, but so tasty. I couldn't eat very much of it. The picture above is a feast we had the other day. It's an omelet with pork, tomato, and onion (!) over rice, and fried noodles with veggies. OH MY GOD IT WAS SO GOOD. And lots of condiments. We put things like soy sauce and chili sauce on pretty much everything. All that food cost $1.50. So awesome.

The other day we met up with Nick's friend, Matt. He's been in Thailand for a year-ish. He was fun. We took the train thing to meet him. Here's a picture of my favorite stop, because it has the best name ever.

That day we went to a park. It reminded me of a Thai Central Park. There were people all over, and lots of fun things to do. The playgrounds were funny and pretty much just had workout equipment. We walked around for most of the day--worked up a pretty solid sweat. After walking for about a million miles, we went to this little restaurant and sat around drinking Leo (beer) and talking.

I think one of my absolute favorite things is Bangkok nights. Every night we've gone out we have just sat around a table and drank beers and just had really awesome conversations with people. Last night we met up with Nick's friend Dan on Khao San road, which is where all of the backpackers go when they come to Bangkok. It was really weird to see white people. We went to a bar called Infinity and had some drinks with Dan and hung out with a couple people who were working at the bar. Then a Japanese guy that Dan knows came up and sat with us, and then a little later Nick's lady boy friend, Angel, came and sat with us for awhile. I don't think I would know that she was a lady boy if I hadn't been told. She's really pretty.

I start teaching on Monday. Terrifying. I went to the school today and yesterday, and pretty much just got laughed at. So that was fun.

Okay, there was a lot more I was going to write, but it's 1 pm, which means the air conditioning is crapping out, which means that it's five thousand degrees in here. So no more blogging for now. I'll write again soon.

Ps, Thai children are my FAVORITE.

2 comments:

  1. =)
    i don't know if you watch arrested development, but when you say lady boy i think of mother boy, which is a competition lucille enters every year with her grandson.

    these pictures are pretty. that big gold man in the background looks legit. you should be his friend.

    today at work a lady did this chant/cry thing ALL DAY. it almost seemed Native American, so there's that.

    i hope i get to skype you soon! bee why eee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi baby sister. I hope you are having lots of fun (of course you are, you're in Thailand). I see you've already found Diet Coke and delicious food. Essential.

    Way

    ReplyDelete